Posts

Showing posts from March, 2012

RESTful URLs and the laziness...

One of the other stuff apart from Search which I worked on the site's code at www.vikreyta.com  was to make the URLs truly RESTful.

While the URLs earlier were pretty decent and URL, but when viewed they did not used to represent the item which was being viewed. They would just mention the name of the item in the url, and it was kind of broken.

Also, its not good from the serch engines point of view. So I took it high on my agenda and did a lot of  on how to accomplish the same.

There are  a lot of plugins and code snippets available, through which you can accomlish the same.

Some of the methods required to make a separate slug column in the database table for the same.

All this while I had been wondering that why so much of code need to be written or in fact even a modification in the database trouble would be required.

Since I am not too much conversant yet with the nitty gritty of programming and PHP, so I could not fathom that out soon.

But, I was clear after so many months of lookin…

Built a "Full-Text Search" engine in PHP !!!

Its been more than 2 months since I posted anything over here.

All this while I have been majorly tied up with various activities regarding www.vikreyta.com , right from launch, going to market and then other mundane activities like uploading the data.

In last two months the major activity of mine, as far as programming is concerned was to make Vikreyta better in performance.

Since these activities does not qualify as "Programming" as such, so I detested from writing it here.

In my earlier post I put a screen shot of my first unit performance of Udacity. Thats the closest I have been to doing some hard-core in programming, off-late.

But yes, today, after a lot of hard-work and ofcourse patience, I built a "Full-Text Search" engine in PHP and implemented it on site.

I struggled a lot with it for days and I am so happy on my accomplishment !

After Ages...Now trying to build a search engine...

Image